Find us on Google+ Rev. DavidRosser: The Elephant In The Church

Thursday, October 22, 2009

The Elephant In The Church

Original description from en: "Elephant p...Image via Wikipedia


Milan Ford

Ever heard this phrase used before: The Elephant In The Room?

I'm sure you have. Around the office water cooler, and perhaps even the dinner table, it's an old English idiom that many of us use to describe an obvious truth that is either being ignored, or at times, rarely being addressed.

As a new admirer of wildlife (courtesy of "Animal Planet"), I realize how impossible it is for an elephant to be ignored. They are the largest land animals in the world, weighing anywhere between 9000-12,000 pounds. The trunk of an elephant can have up to forty thousand individual muscles in it, making it sensitive enough to pick up a blade of grass, yet strong enough to tear down a small tree.

So you would think that if you and I were in a room with an elephant, we would probably know it!

While doing a little soul searching this week, I began to ask myself this question: As Christians, what are the elephants you and I have in the room today? Digging a little deeper...

What is the biggest elephant we have in the church today?

I'm quite sure, depending on who you ask, the answers to that question would differ greatly. Money. Divorce. Racism. Homosexuality. Politics. Sexism. The list is endless.

There is however one "elephant" in particular that we as Christians rarely seem to uncover enough. Despite its size and ability to frighten all in its path, this elephant has been chained to the rooms (and hearts) of every believer by God Himself. It simply cannot be avoided.

That elephant is Accountability.

Romans 12:16 says, "Be of the same mind toward one another. Do not set your mind on high things, but associate with the humble. Do not be wise in your own opinion."

Can I be honest with you? I have always had a difficult time asking for help. Whether it was from a family member, friend, or even a fellow believer, I have always equated a need for help as a sign of weakness. Nothing like figuring things out on your own...or so I thought.

Fast forward several years, I carried that same mentality while serving in ministry, until one day my elephant of accountability - or should I say the lack thereof - grew bigger than the room I was hiding it in. It cost me (and my family) big time.

As Christians, there is nothing more important than seeking out and embracing the accountability of the friends and loved ones God has placed around us. More often than not, many of us can fall victim to a dangerous belief system that our relationship with Christ (and no one else) is all that we need to be successful in our daily walk with Him.

Although I still consider myself to be a young man, there is one thing I have come to know for certain: Without accountability, the voice of God can sound a lot like your own.

I encourage you today to become a person of accountability. Please do not, under any circumstances, become wise in your own opinion alone. Those who do may unfortunately find themselves surrounded in peanuts the rest of their lives; because when it comes to the elephant of accountability...

...it's here to stay.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment