Find us on Google+ Rev. DavidRosser: To Reach Them Is To Love Them

Thursday, June 18, 2009

To Reach Them Is To Love Them





Lisa Birch
I visited my 7-year-old's class for a special parent program. I entered the room to see a bunch of smiling faces, children and adults. But my eyes couldn't help but be drawn to one little boy who was crying quietly but intensely.

The teacher said a few things to him, but the boy continued to cry uncontrollably. I noticed there wasn't an adult with him, but he wasn't the only child without family represented. Surely something else was wrong, I thought. Then another parent confirmed what I suspected. He wanted his mom there.

My heart just couldn't let me stay in one spot and enjoy my son who was beaming with his mother by his side. I walked across the room, moved the little boy's chair next to me and my son, and I embraced him until he stopped crying.

I watched and cheered my son during his performance with the other kids, while the little boy stayed close to me with a tissue box. He never participated in the student presentation; he couldn't pull himself together. But after only a few minutes of compassion and a prolonged hug, the little boy eventually calmed down. Tears soon dried up and he slowly began to catch his breath. Finally, I felt him exhale deeply.

What surprised me is that out of all the adults in the room--moms, dads, grandparents and Aunts--nobody reached out to comfort the little guy beyond a tap on the shoulder or a few nice words. He was crying so hard he obviously needed a hug, and not a quick one.

I wondered if the boy's parents had a clue of how much their absence affected him that morning. Sure I started to judge, but then I got a spirit check. Yes, I'm fortunate to have a flexible schedule now, but it hasn't always been that way. I totally understand the obligations of work, and I also realize emergencies happen at the worst times. But I also know that if I'm not able to show up to support my child and he's distraught about it, I sure would want someone who genuinely cares to step in, help him get over it, and let him know it will be ok.

Some will say that I took precious time and attention away from my own son that morning by not totally focusing on him. But I say that I added double value to his life by not only being there for him but also being there for another child in need. If my son doesn't fully get it now, he will get it--and appreciate it--one day.

I know our world is crazy and we can barely love on other children without paranoia setting in. But God is love, and He requires us to love each other--especially His children.

So I really didn't care as those adult eyes gawked at me for responding the way I did. As parents, we can't always rise to the occasion. It truly does take a village to raise a child. But how will we ever reach our children to raise them right if it's taboo for someone other than the parent to show them love?



Publisher of Vertical Fix online magazine, Lisa Birch has a passion for music with integrity. Along with her husband Chris, Lisa is the co-founder of Vertical Fix internet radio. A 15-year writer and editor, Lisa has contributed writings for corporate, creative, editorial and several ministerial environments. For more information about Lisa, log onto www.verticalfix.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment